In the co-main event of UFC 236, Kelvin Gastelum and Israel Adesanya will battle it out for the interim middleweight championship.
Gastelum, who is riding a two-fight winning streak with wins over Jacare Souza and former champion Michael Bisping, was initially set to fight for the undisputed championship at UFC 234 in February 2019. Unfortunately, titleholder Robert Whittaker suffered a serious health scare and the bout was canceled hours before it was set to take place.
Now, Gastelum will have another opportunity to wrap the belt around his waste but it comes in the form of a tough test from the Nigerian up-and-comer.
Adesanya, meanwhile, holds a perfect professional record of 16-0. His most recent outing was a win over former middleweight king Anderson Silva. Since joining the UFC, Adesanya has earned $50,000 bonuses in four of his five fights — three Performance of the Night and one Fight of the Night bonus.
Ahead of their bout UFC Hall of Famer Forrest Griffin broke down the fight and shared his keys to victory.
UFC 236 is set to take place at the State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. The event officially begins with the early preliminary card on UFC Fight Pass at 6:15 p.m. ET for four bouts before making the move to ESPN at 8:00 p.m. ET. The Worldwide Leader in Sports will then be home to four additional bouts before the main card kicks off at 10:00 p.m. ET on pay-per-view.
Check out Forrest’s full breakdown below:
Don’t miss the UFC Countdown episode for Gastelum vs. Adesanya by clicking here.
UFC 236: Fight Time & Viewing Details
Event: UFC 236: Holloway vs. Poirier 2
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2019
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Venue: State Farm Arena
Pay-Per-View Card Time: 10:00 p.m. ET
Broadcast: UFC Fight Pass, ESPN, Pay-per-view
Main Card (Pay-per-view, 10:00 p.m. ET)
- Max Holloway vs. Dustin Poirier — for the interim lightweight championship
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Israel Adesanya — for the interim middleweight championship
- Eryk Anders vs. Khalil Rountree Jr.
- Alan Jouban vs. Dwight Grant
- Ovince Saint Preux vs. Nikita Krylov
Preliminary Card (ESPN, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- Jalin Turner vs. Matt Frevola
- Wilson Reis vs. Alexandre Pantoja
- Max Griffin vs. Zelim Imadaev
- Boston Salmon vs. Khalid Taha
Early Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass, 6:16 p.m. ET)
- Curtis Millender vs. Belal Muhammad
- Montel Jackson vs. Andre Soukhamthath
- Lauren Mueller vs. Poliana Botelho
- Brandon Davis vs. Randy Costa